T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

They Told Me, But I Didn't Listen

Over the past 6 months I've had several people tell me that planning and prepping two new classes for fall semester is a lot of work. I laughed it off -- Ha! Ha! I can take on the world! Well, perhaps I can take on the world, but two new classes is a different story. Especially since I have exceedingly high expectations for myself.

Class #1: Research and Evaluation in Higher Education -- Yeah, it's as daunting as it sounds.

Class #2: Student Affairs in Colleges and Universities - Not as tough, but throw in a semester long simulation and I've just doubled my workload.

Seriously, what was I thinking? I could have taught College Student Development this semester and been prepared. Perhaps I wanted to have an easy (well, easier) spring semester. Perhaps I like a challenge and thrive on stress. Okay, it's the second one. I feel like once I get in the classroom things will be better. But from past experience I know that to be a big fat lie I tell myself just so I can sleep at night.

And speaking of sleep -- normally this time of year I have nightmares about teaching. No difference this year except for some reason I dreamed about teaching at Hogwarts. I'm right in the middle of book 5 (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix), and apparently it is creeping into my subconscious more than I would like to admit. It is, however, a nice break from work.

No comments: