T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Award-Winning Books

This morning I heard a great interview with Neil Gaiman, author of The Graveyard Book which was just awarded The Newbery Medal for literature. It was interesting to hear his writing process and the book sounds fascinating. I am thinking about buying it to read myself even though it is a little to old for little j.

The Caldecott Medal was also awarded and went to The House in the Night, illustrated by Beth Krommes and written by Susan Marie Swanson. But I was particularly interested in one of the Honor books: A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams, illustrated by Melissa Sweet, written by Jen Bryant. Williams is one of my very favorite poets, with poems that are at once accessible, spare, and evocative of the American sensibilities of his time. His simple language belies the depth of the subject.

I was so excited to see this book about one of America's greatest poets written specifically for children. Of course I think reading is important, but what one reads is as important as the ability to read. Introducing children to poetry at an early age is one of the simplest things we can do as parents and educators. Not only do they learn rhyme schemes and forms, but it also gives them a taste of what is possible in language.

1 comment:

Hyperreflexia said...

I saw Gaiman and Beth Krommes on the Today. I wanted both of the books for Zee and Eee. The Graveyard Book is being made into a movie too. I am not sure how I feel about every great children's book being made into a movie, but I guess if it done well...then I have no place to complain.