T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Political Dish -- Thursday Edition

I will admit, I have not been watching the RNC this week. I had planned to watch, but I just couldn't bring myself to listen to the rhetoric. Actually I was looking forward to watching Gov. Palin's acceptance speech, but the vortex of rumors, innuendo, and bad-mouthing surrounding the Governor from both sides have really turned me off.

Make no mistake, I am pleased that a woman is on the Republican ticket. I am appalled by the questions of her fitness for office based on the fact that she is a mother of a small child with developmental issues; we haven't questioned Obama's role in raising his daughters. But more than that, I am sick of people dismissing her experience as a small town mayor, and even more, making fun of Wasilla. For those who live in larger cities and look down upon those of us from small towns, get a life.

Just because someone is from a small town doesn't mean they don't have the intelligence and strength to run for national political office. Additionally, implying that her degree from the University of Idaho isn't worth as much as Obama's degrees from Columbia and Harvard is educationist. (Thank you Ms. A for that excellent word.) Quite frankly, I'd put the education I received at Eastern Oregon University up against the education at any large research or Ivy League institution.

So please, let's stick to the real issues: what visions do the candidates have for the future of this country and how will they lead us toward that vision?

Now, that I have defended Gov. Palin, in spirit, let me get right to the point: Last night, during her acceptance speech she made this comment,

"I’m not a member of the permanent political establishment. And I’ve learned quickly, these past few days, that if you’re not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone. But here’s a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I’m not going to Washington to seek their good opinion; I’m going to Washington to serve the people of this country.”
Oh really? You are going to serve me? You are going to represent my interests? Or is your plan to represent the interests of the people who only agree with your stance on issues? Let's just get one thing straight, while I agree with Obama and Biden who have clearly stated this week that the families of the candidates are off limits, there is one thing that is not off limits: Gov. Palin's stand on a woman's right to choose. I am not a single-issue voter by any means, but this particular issue is coming to the forefront in this election in a way we haven't seen in the recent past given the potential of Supreme Court retirements. And this is where Gov. Palin does not represent my interests, nor does she represent "the people of this great country."

On the contrary, a Quinnipiac University poll completed in July indicates that 57% of respondants believe that abortion should always or usually be legal, and 63% agree with the Supreme Court's decision in Roe v. Wade. Additionally a CNN poll conducted in August found that 53% of respondants consider themselves "pro-choice." Who exactly is Gov. Palin planning to serve?

On Monday Gov. Palin issued a statement acknowledging her daughter's pregnancy and stated that she and her husband are proud of the choice their daughter has made. Isn't it ironic that her daughter had the opportunity to make a choice when that is exactly what Gov. Palin wants to take away from all the women in America that she emphatically stated she was going to Washington to serve.

Let that sink in my sisters.

No comments: