T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sunday Political Dish

My Google homepage has several news feeds that I read throughout the day. Although I am partial to news from the New York Times I also frequently read news from CNN. I suppose I have to agree that the NYT is more liberal and CNN gives me the conservative perspective. I can't bring myself to read (or, horror of horrors, watch) Fox news ('fair and balanced' my ass).

Anyhoo...on Tuesday I read a story (if you can call it that) on CNN titled "Could an Obama presidency hurt black Americans?", the premise being that if a black man is elected Americans will somehow conclude that race is no longer an issue in this country. (As a side note, take a look at the URL for that story. I'm not a conspiracy theorists, but come on!)

I suppose I can see how some people might become complacent, but I think the larger issue, which this article did not address, and that is the fact that there is a significant portion of non-black individuals that are highly racist and Obama's election would serve to elevate that.

But the larger issue is simple: are these reasons not to elect a black candidate, generally, and Obama specifically, president? Personally, I don't think so. And while I am an Obama supporter, I would hold the same view if he was a conservative republican and I wasn't supporting him.

My other regular news "source" is The Daily Show. And quite frankly, Senior Black Correspondent Larry Wilmore has the best take on the subject:

No comments: