Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Birth Stories

If there is one show on television that I dislike it's A Baby Story. I have absolutely no desire to watch people prepare to have babies, have babies, then coo over their babies at home. But, like most women, I'm always happy to share my own baby story. My friend SallyHP recommended a site for a Happy Birth Days Carnival, so in the spirit of sharing here's my story:

My doctor was to be out of town on my due date (October 24), so during what was to be my last appointment (October 17), where I was no where close to dilating, she suggested I could be induced the next day. Big J and I looked at each other and in a moment of sheer panic he asked, "Could we do it on Monday?" We were both thinking that we needed the weekend to get used to the idea and finish up some "nesting" projects.

So early Monday morning (October 21) Big J and I got up and made our way to the hospital -- a whole 4 blocks. We checked in and got situated in the room and they hooked me up to the pitocin drip. As it turned out, I was already having minor contractions and would have probably gone in that day anyway.

My doctor came in at 8:15 am and checked me, I was barely a centimeter dilated and she said it was going to be a while and would come back during her lunch hour to check on me. Meanwhile people kept coming in to see me, we'd talk and laugh, I felt great. Then my very good friends Stacy and Sherri came to see me about 11:30 and I realized that I could barely keep up with their conversation. My contractions, which had been about a 1 on the pain scale, had suddenly become about an 8. Big J hurried them out of the room (although they'd both seen enough babies born to know it was time to go) and called the nurse.

I got back on the bed and in no time my doctor was back. It was about 12:15 and I was 8 centimeter dilated. One nurse said, "Should I get the anesthesiologist?" (Clearly she hadn't worked in OB long.) And my doctor said, "There's no time. I don't even know if I have time to change." But, much to my chagrin she left the room to get her scrubs on. Fortunately, she was back in a matter of minutes because the baby was coming.

I started pushing a little after 1 p.m. and after about 10 minutes I asked my doctor how long it usually takes from this point. When she told me that some women take about 15 minutes and other take up to three hours the thought that went through my head was, "Oh no...not this one. I have to get her out now or her head will be pointy and she'll be stupid." (Clearly I was delirious with pain!)

As she crowned my doctor told Big J to take a look, apparently our lovely daughter had a full head of hair! And then said said, "I'm going to have to make a little incision because the head is just too big." And, I kid you not, I thought to myself, "That's what he said." And then I laughed. (Again, I must have been delirious.)

A short few minutes later there she was: all 7 lbs. 15 oz., dark haired and squirmy. Big J and I were in awe. Of course it took us a while to decide on a name and little j was almost Isabelle, but by the time we had visitors we were able to introduce her properly.

One last note: our birth soundtrack was John Mayer's Room for Squares. It wasn't planned, but in retrospect it was a good choice.


Wild Cayuse Creek said...

What I remember from when little j was born is when you called... she was cooing and crying in the background... I had to take the phone away from my mouth so I could let out a little sob. That's how beautiful and pure that moment was.

Whirlwind said...

Great story! She is very cute.

Sally HP said...

I've never heard your birth story...love it!

Alex Elliot said...

Great birth story! I would have loved it if my doctor would have induced me when she was going on vacation! I hated the thought that she would be out of town if I went into labor. Fortunately when I did go, it wasn't an issue. Thanks for participating!