T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Friday, January 25, 2008

Thank You Beastie Boys

As I get closer to the end of the dissertation I have been thinking about the acknowledgment section. Would it be appropriate to add thank yous to all the bands and musicians that have gotten me through the day-after-day-after-day grind?

Today it's the Beastie Boys. It seems kind of improbable that anyone would be able to write with "Shake Your Rump" blasting through the ear buds, but it works for me. I also will owe a but thank you to Ryan Adams, Dave Matthews, Eddie Vedder, Kanye West, Mozart, Bach and Yo Yo Ma. And of course I won't be able to forget my super secret writing weapon: Rage Against the Machine. This is by no means a comprehensive list of all the music I have listened to over the past couple of years, but certainly the highlights.

I had a professor as an undergraduate you said that no one could write to music; he would especially object to RAM and the Boys. Oh really? Well, maybe that's why you didn't attend Mr. Jefferson's University. (I still harbor a slight bit of hostility toward this particular professor, can you tell?)

But back to the matter at hand: is it appropriate to add musical thanks in the acknowledgment section? Most of the acknowledgments I have read are oh so serious. Let's bring some levity people. The dissertation process is too long and too painful to not have some fun.

No comments: