T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bill's Mistake

It's no secret to my friends that I adore Bill Clinton. But lately his behavior on the campaign trail has gotten a little suspect. I don't know if I think it is the job of the candidate's spouse, former president or otherwise, to attack rival candidates. I heard an analogy today that made the point: Bill Clinton is like the graduate that's come back for a high school dance. Dude, you're 28! Shouldn't you be hanging out with people your own age?

There's no denying that Clinton's presidency was a divisive one. I don't know anyone that is on the fence about how they feel when you bring up his name or his politics (including my grandmother who didn't have a nice thing to say about him and is now the biggest advocate for his wife). Yet for many he was a charismatic, popular, and inspiring leader and they don't want that image tarnished by mud-slinging politics in the current election.

By all accounts Clinton has been able to accomplish amazing things since his term ended. As a supporter, I want to see those things continue and I don't want to watch him in a red-faced tirade about Hillary's rivals. Bill fought his own battles running for president, let Hillary fight hers.

No comments: