T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

It's the little things

Last May my computer broke -- not the correct term, but good enough. In any case, I had to get a new hard drive. Since that time I haven't been able to use the wireless thingy at the University. Sure, I could get help, but it's more fun to complain and try and figure out how to do it myself. Okay, maybe not more fun, but certainly allows me some time to complain about how difficult all this technical crap is.

So today I figure I should probably get it figured out, especially since I am going to be spending some quality time at the library over the next few weeks. I can't do it. It's too complicated. And now I'm grumpy. I wasn't grumpy earlier, but I am now simply because apparently I need to update the software for my wireless card and I can't figure out how to navigate the company's stupid website. Plus everywhere you go on the web that involves supporting your computer you have to register. Bah!

Add to that indignity the fact that the presidential candidate that I think I like the most (notice I said I think because I don't really know) really made an ass of himself last night in the debate. I mean seriously, Edwards asked Obama how he could justify taking money from industry leaders in health care insurance and if he thought they wouldn't expect something in return. Obama clearly pointed out that anyone can accept money from individuals and it doesn't necessarily mean that the individual is representing their industry. Now I haven't stated the verbatim exchange, but suffice it to say that I felt like Edwards looked like a big idiot for not anticipating the answer he got. Sure he could have asked the question in a different way. So when I woke up at 5 a.m. this morning that is what was on my mind.

The fact is I like Edwards. I like what he stands for. I like that he has the disenfranchised poor at the forefront of his campaign. But he's just not doing that well. And like one of the moderators asked last night: How can a white male campaign against a woman and a black man? Good question. Clinton and Obama try to make the case that their campaigns aren't about race or gender. Oh really? Well, they may not think so, but I would guess that there is a substantial portion of the American population that would disagree.

Gender and race are part of a person's identity. You just can't shrug off that identity as if it were an old coat. Our experiences shape who we are. We take in the messages that our social circles, groups and society at large send us and try to reconcile those message with what we believe about ourselves. It is a never ending circle. Clinton was and is sent messages about her identity as a woman and we hear it in the media every day. Embrace your identity! It's what makes you who you are! Yes you are a woman running for president. Yes you are a black man running for president. Talk about it! (Okay, this isn't such a little thing -- but it's been on my mind.)

1 comment:

Wild Cayuse Creek said...

Broken computers suck. I'm nursing my laptop along, holding it back with all my might from the brink of death because I just can't afford to get a new one right now, even though I desperately need one.

I have a great tech person. I wish I could email him to you and he could fix your computer.