T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Friday, January 18, 2008

Could I have been anyone other than me?

It's Friday and I am again in the library. There is a surprising number of students here considering that it is only the third day of classes, it's nearly noon on Friday and it is the beginning of a three day weekend. Don't these smart kids have anything better to do?

Above the fireplace in the room I am in is a large floral arrangement and some guys (florists?) just came in to update and rearrange the arrangement. I was watching them and thinking that flowers really make people happy. Well, at least they make me happy. Then my thought was, "Maybe I should have been a florist."

Now, don't get me wrong. I love higher ed and I love working with students, doing research, etc. But being a florist seems so ideal. You get to make beautiful arrangements for the happiest days of peoples' lives and arrangements to cheer people on some of their saddest. What could be better? Do floral arrangements change the world? Probably not. But I think they may make a difference to individuals now and then.

Now my question is: Why didn't I consider this, say, about 20 years ago? This is not to say that I can't arrange flowers as a hobby. But frankly, who has time? I guess I'll finish my dissertation.

(P.S. Should anyone ask, I'm partial to tulips and gerber daisies.)

1 comment:

Wild Cayuse Creek said...

I have felt the exact same thing with regard to flowers, and I think it's because of Grandma H, with a healthy dose of Aunt Karen thrown in.