T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Friday, October 26, 2007

Knitting weather

Finally, at the end of October, we are getting some cool fall weather and much needed rain. It's been cloudy, cold, and rainy for three days now and I am feeling the need to start a new knitting project. My grandmother gave me a set of interchangeable knitting needles for my birthday. They are, in a word, ingenious! There is simply five lengths of cables that attach to 10 different sizes of needles. The needles can also be used as double pointed and regular needles. How clever is that?

So, I've got the needles and I have a basket full of yarn, I just have to select a pattern and get started. Last winter I made a scarf for Big J. There is a matching hat to go along with it, so perhaps that should be my project. But I have also been thinking about making blankets. For who or what I don't know. It's really more the process and completion that is appealing.

One problem: I have yet to learn how to increase stitches. Every time I try it out I am left with holes in the project. It's pretty frustrating. I've read books, I've watched videos, I even had an in-person lesson with my grandmother (who, by the way, is not a particularly good teacher because she didn't understand why I couldn't figure it out). I think I am just going to have to practice, practice, practice...or select a pattern that doesn't require increasing!

1 comment:

Sally HP said...

Hey, I have some great ways to increase without leaving a hole...I can email you some steps to it, if you want!