T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

a writing funk

You know when you have to write something and you just don't know where to start so you sort of feel paralyzed in general about getting something on paper? There are those that say you should just put something down on paper, get your thoughts down. Then there are others who are 'cranial composers.' I fall into the latter category. I can't seem to get anything down on paper until I know exactly what it is I want to say.

I have to wonder if it is a perfectionism issue. After all, no one is going to see what I write unless I choose to show it to them. Seriously, who would hack into my computer to read my dissertation? I can't imagine. But there is a sense I have that I can't write anything down until the thought is fully formed in my mind.

Incidentally, I also do the same thing when I speak. I want to make sure that I understand what people have said and evaluate my response before I say anything. A bad thing? Sometimes. But I also believe it saves me a lot of time in the end -- I rarely have to apologize for something I say. On the other hand, I also get run over by quick talkers. I let other people do the talking many times and allow people to interrupt me.

But back to writing...Big J is of the mind frame that I should just, as they say, throw something up on the page and see what sticks. I hate that. Because it is true that things are going to change from what I first write to the final draft, but I want to get something meaningful down on paper to begin with.

This is my dilemma.

No comments: