T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sunday night -- here's what's cooking

Well, the in-laws headed back to Oregon today. I was clock watching this morning wondering exactly what time 'mid-morning' was. As in-laws go mine are great, and little j loves her gramma and papa. But there is something about having people in your house for a week, especially when you don't feel like they are making themselves at home. We did have a great visit while they were here and, of course, great food: roast chicken, roasted Brussels sprouts, sweet potato souffle, Big J's smoked ribs with his mom's yummy bbq sauce, and Challah french toast. Yum!

The in-laws brought three packages of quail breasts. They were frozen when they left and still about icy when they arrived, but not enough to put them in the freezer. So tonight we are having quail! Now, I've never cooked quail before so this is a bit of an adventure. Also, I couldn't find a recipe that I liked so I am striking out on my own: I am brining the quail with honey, rosemary, sage and peppercorns. I'll sear the breasts and then put them in the oven to finish them off while I make a blackberry sage pan sauce. The quail will be accompanied with a wild mushroom risotto and roasted cauliflower, and, of course, a nice bottle of wine.

I think I can pull this one off, but I'm a little nervous. Tomorrow I'll let you all know how it turned out!

No comments: