T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Friday, September 21, 2007

Into the Wild

Into the Wild, the movie directed by Sean Penn based on Jon Krakauer's book of the same name, opens today. Krakauer's work holds a special place in my life. It is the first book we used when we initiated our summer reading program for first-year students.

The story of Chris McCandless is one that we can all learn from. There are those that fault Chris as reckless and arrogant. However I look at Chris and his journey with sadness and hope. This book speaks to the four values of student affairs that my first professional mentor, Richard Stenard, lived and taught: Interdependence, Altruism, Civility, Integrity.

For me the story of Chris will forever be entwined with the memory of Dr. Stenard. I've read Into the Wild probably half a dozen times, and each time it never fails to leave me with a feeling of hope and rejoicing in the spirit of moral inquiry.

On a side note: I heartily recommend the soundtrack to the film. Eddie Vedder captures the spirit and intellect of Chris perfectly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Ellen, Dr. Stenard's youngest daughter. I stumbled into your blog on a google search for my father's name. I just wanted to drop you a note to say how much this post touched me. It makes me so very happy and proud to know people continue to think of my father in this way. I know he would have been deeply moved to know he had such an impact on your life.

Into the Wild is a favorite book of mine. My sister and I have been avid Krakauer readers for years. Into the Wild holds a particular special spot in our hearts because we grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska. The location of the bus is close by areas I used to go fishing and camping with my father.

Best of luck with your studies!