T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

End of the year

The end of the year is always an odd time.  For one, I don't think of December as the end since my "work year" ends in May and I always think of August/ September as the beginning of a new year.  On the other hand, there are things that I do at the end of December that sort of signal "new year." 

First and foremost, I begin to think about getting rid of things.  Now, it seems like that fits better in the spring, but I think for me it comes from getting new things over the holiday and thinking about where to put them.  The other part of it is taking down the Christmas decorations and having a clean (i.e., uncluttered) house.  We aren't really nick-knack people, so decorations start to feel like a mess after a couple of weeks. 

Finally, it is the time to make resolutions.  But, as I've stated before, I don't really like resolutions.  Last year I did the "One Little Word."  My word was courage and I don't know that I completely lived up to it.  I haven't decided if I am going to try a new word this year, but if so, I need to give it more thought.

Finally, the end of the year has sort of a limbo feeling.  (No, I don't mean the party dance!)  Because we are all off of work and school the week between Christmas and New Year, I feel like life is sort of at a halt.  We don't do much except play games, read, knit, watch movies, whatever . . . the result is both good and bad.  I definitely feel ready to go back to work in January, but I also feel a bit restless during the week, as if there is something I "should" be doing.

And on that note, since it is almost 10:00 am, I should probably get dressed!

No comments: