T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

After a short absence

I realized that I haven't written in a while and have missed my last two "Friday Random Thoughts." I think there are a couple things that contributed to this: 1) I haven't been on my computer as much in the evenings since I can check my email, etc. on the iPhone. 2) We are just on the other side of mid-semester and I'm tired, plus I was sick.

So in that short absence the weather has grown cold enough to have a fire which has inspired me to get out my knitting. This week my plan is to inventory my yarn and projects that I have collected over the last few months and get started.

I find myself envious of people that seem to have more time, energy, and patience to complete projects than I do. I don't know why I feel it is so important to have a "hobby." Perhaps it is from growing up with a grandmother that was always doing some sort of handcraft -- knitting, crocheting, sewing, painting -- while the rest of us read or watched television and had nothing to show for it at the end of the evening. Of course I would argue that reading is just as active as knitting and also has important and productive results, but said grandmother would heartily debate that point. Isn't it amazing how childhood issues remain with us?

One of my goals for the winter (Big J, I know you're reading this) is to not mindlessly watch television. This is a tough one for me, because as you, my dear readers know, I am hopelessly addicted to L&O. (Seriously, I think a support group may be in order. Although each session would devolve into conversations about characters, episode plots, and the finer points of detective work.) But we have a DVR for a reason. We can miss shows and watch them in a fraction of the time. And wouldn't it be nice to have a few nights a week without television? Just some music and reading, or games, or whatever? Big J and I are so good about it before little j goes to bed -- we always have a television alternative in mind. We should do that for ourselves as well. But as I am the master of rationalization, I am more apt to convince myself that a couple (or few) hours of mindless television is a good way to wind down. Okay, you read it here first. I'll let you know how that works out!

No comments: