T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Soccer Mom? What?

The last thing I ever wanted to be called was "Soccer Mom." Of course, little j is on a soccer team, so perhaps by default that's what I am. But Big J and I trade off with practices during the week and both go to the Saturday games if we are available, which is most of the time.

But I never felt like a soccer mom until this last week when we were at the game and I realized that no one brought half-time snacks for the girls and the post-game snack was a single strip of fruit leather.

Since I hadn't gone to practice the first week, I asked Big J if parents talked about snacks and he said no, so this week I put together a sign-up sheet and sent it to practice with him. The sheet had each game plus instructions about what to bring (high energy half-time snack such as orange slices, and drinks plus a more substantial post-game snack).

He brought the sign-up sheet home and I entered it on the spreadsheet I had made up and then sent out a team email asking for people to fill in the gaps. As I was doing this I looked over at Big J and said, "Oh no...I'm a soccer mom."

Is it a bad thing? Not at all. It's just the label and the connotations that go along with it that I dislike. But if making a spreadsheet with snack sign-up makes me a soccer mom, I guess I can live with that.

No comments: