T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Why Bill Moyers is my favorite journalist

From his recent interview on Real Time with Bill Maher:

"We're all in the same boat. The moral message that America would send by adopting health care as a human need to which everybody should have access to -- the moral message would be that we are all in this together, that we care about each other. All of us that have the means will give up something in order to make sure everybody has health care. I don't want to live in a country where I'm on one hospital floor having an operation that costs $25,000 and two floors above me someone's being denied that same surgery because he or she has no money. What kind of civilization is that? What kind of moral order is that? It's not. . . Some things do not have a price tag on them, they have a value system attached to them; and health care for everyone, universal health care for every citizen, irrespective of your resources, is representative of a deeply moral society. What do I mean by moral? A society that cares for the other . . . I think if Obama fought instead of finessed so much, he stood up and declared what is really the right thing to do and what is really needed . . . if he stood up and said, 'We need this because we're a decent country,' I think it would change the atmosphere."

1 comment:

Sally HP said...

I'll have to see the entire interview. I really like that statement. I actually just 'de-friended' someone on facebook over this issue. Facebook and all its drama...is it worth it?!