T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Thursday, May 07, 2009

It's Thursday, It's Raining

Several years ago when we lived in Oregon we had the rainiest spring I can ever remember. That may not seem surprising, but for those of you that aren't familiar with Eastern Oregon weather, you know that more than one day of rain in the spring is pretty much out of the norm. In any case, my friend came to work one morning with a new song, "The Fucking, Fucking Rain." And that's about how I feel right now.

It is hard to complain because I know we really need the rain, and everything is green and beautiful, but seriously can we just get one day of sunshine? I feel like it has been raining for weeks (really, it's only been since Saturday).

So funny story -- Big J and I have been working on some new raised beds for vegetables. On Saturday we finally got then put together and as we (little j included) were filling them with soil it began to rain, we looked at each other and wordlessly acknowledged that we would just keep going until they were done. At first it was just a light rain, coming and going, not really hampering our work. little j was in the beds moving the soil around to the edges and smoothing it out in her bare feet. About halfway through it really started pouring, but we were in it for the long haul at this point. I'm sure our neighbors thought we were crazy -- the whole family out in the rain, shoveling dirt from a big pile into boxes, daughter soaking wet and covered with mud up to her thighs.

In the end we all hosed off in on the back porch and finally went into the house to put on dry clothes. As we were sitting in the living room, the Js playing a game on the floor, me reading a book on the couch, I realized that this is an experience that we will remember...a family activity that, while involving work, really brought us all together to accomplish something. No one complained, no one wanted to quit. It was one of the best Saturday afternoons I can remember.

No comments: