T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Thoughts for the New Year

That Girl does not make New Year's resolutions. But I do have a few thoughts:

Since I started grad school I have really neglected any and all houseplants (i.e., they rarely get watered). little j has reminded me lately how important houseplants actually are. So Monday we took down all of our Christmas decorations in the morning and then little j and I went to Ivy Nursery and spent some lovely time in the greenhouse and brought home five new little plants -- two for her room and three for the family room. I plan to give more attention to plants in the new year.

In the past I have been pretty passive when people say offensive things (racist, sexist, classist, etc.). This year I vow to be better about saying when something is offensive or flat out wrong.

I'd really like to read at least one book a month this year. It doesn't sound like much, but I seem to be distracted by other things lately.

Finally, I'd like to learn how to relax. I realize that one reason I like to watch television (and Law and Order-type shows in particular) is that I actually don't think about anything while they are on because I am engrossed in the show. Honestly it is the only time that my mind isn't going 100 miles and hour. So I really need to think about other ways to relax and turn my mind off. It's a tough one.

That's it. Nothing revolutionary, nothing that I won't be able to do.

No comments: