T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Monday, June 30, 2008

Is that what you are wearing?

Perhaps I don't have a lot of room to talk because I haven't been a total fashion plate since I've been in graduate school, but I have followed the basic rules of fashion. And I try really, really hard not to criticize the fashion choices of others. But today I almost had to pull over the car and make a citizen's arrest.

I was on my way to pick up little j and as I was driving down the road I glanced at a woman walking on the sidewalk. She was not unattractive, perhaps a little overweight (like I'm one to talk in that department) but that's not the point. At first glance she looked pretty much like any other woman wearing khakis and a blue short-sleeved knit top. But a second glance led to pleated khakis that were too short, white socks (possibly of an athletic nature), and 2-inch black mary janes .

No! No! No!

Seriously. And I said, aloud, "Oh sweetie, that's just not good."

There are many fashion faux pas that I can forgive and let pass without comment. But this was not one. Why would anyone desecrate mary janes that way? I just don't understand.

No comments: