T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Cap & Gown

It has sort of been a whirlwind week, but not really. I turned in my dissertation just a week ago and I can't really say what I have done since then. Actually I did work quite a bit in preparation for a meeting in NYC yesterday. Today I went to my advisor's class and presented my research. Sort of a dry run of my defense but in a bit more detail. That went really well. This afternoon was the first time that I really felt like I was almost there.

And, most importantly, on Saturday I cleaned out the fridge. I know it sounds crazy, but cleaning house really felt good mostly because I just haven't been able to do it for a few months. This is not to say it didn't get done because Big J was so awesome while I was working on the diss. But there are things that went undone because it takes way to much time when you are single parenting. So, I'm glad we are back on track and can have a mostly clean house on a regular basis.

I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but I am my advisor's first student to defend and graduate. It's kind of a cool thing. I can't say enough about how great she has been through this whole process. She has really helped me navigate the bureaucracy and given me encouragement and support in a way I don't see with other advisors.

After the presentation today Big J and I met up at the campus bookstore and I got my cap and gown AND doctoral hood. Now, at this university they give you your cap, gown and tassel for free. But the doctoral hood? Well that will run you $89.99. Holy crap! Of course you have no option. So I broke out the much overused credit card and paid up. Certainly I am not going to miss the hooding ceremony on the principal that I shouldn't have to pay one dime more. (Especially since I still have to pay to get my dissertation bound.)

So that's where things stand. I defend in 5 days. My presentation is nearly ready. And I am feeling good. (I think!) The only unfortunate thing is that I can't get really drunk after my defense because I have to fly to NYC (again) for a 10 am meeting the next day. Oh the sacrifices!

1 comment:

Hyperreflexia said...

can i go to nyc with you?