T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Friday, March 28, 2008

At a Bit of a Loss

Who knew that after finishing my dissertation I would be sitting around wondering what I should be doing? Clearly I am doing some things like cooking dinners, working for my advisor, the regular sorts of stuff. But last night Big J and I were sitting watching TV and mentioned that I was sort of feeling lost. He said that he could tell.

Today I met with a first year doc student from our program to talk more about my dissertation and class in general and I mentioned that I had picked up John Kenneth Galbraith's The Affluent Society, and he was like, "Wow, I'm really impressed that you can do that after your dissertation." I didn't think twice about it because it is something that I wanted to read. When I told him that he said, "You are really an academic." Holy crap!!!! I am an academic. I like reading academic stuff. But I just am really interested in learning new things.

So, I have the baby blanket that I've been trying to knit for the past couple of month and I haven't found a pattern that I am happy with. I really want to learn how to do cables, but for some reason I just can't bring myself to do it. It's sort of like cooking; there are lots of things I want to make, but I'm just not as interested in doing it as I was when I was writing my dissertation.

So, you can see, I'm feeling a little lost.

No comments: