T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Saturday, November 10, 2007

What a week!

I hardly know where to begin. I really enjoyed the conference. It was a whole new side to higher ed. As a "former" practitioner there were times that I felt incredibly irritated because the conference is made up of academics that study higher education, and at some points I felt like saying, "this is great information, but what are you going to do about it?" On the other hand, it was such a good experience to just talk and think about higher education.

But here is the best story ever:

So, like any industry higher education has its stars; you know, the people that write the books everyone reads and quotes. My very good friend Sherri was there and told me she would introduce me to one of her professors who is, quite possibly, one of the most famous of all higher ed people, think Robert DeNiro. We sat down and were talking and Sherri mentioned the name of one of my professors, let's call him Matt Damon. So Robert DeNiro said, "Oh, I'd really like to meet him." And I said, "Great, I think he'll be at the reception." So we all headed up. The reception was crowded and I had no idea how to find Matt Damon, so I had Sherri keep an eye on Robert DeNiro while I tracked him down. When I found him, Sherri guided Robert DeNiro over and I said, "Matt Damon, this is Robert DeNiro." And they proceeded to talk, while I just stood there in awe! Then Robert DeNiro's friend, let's call him Al Pacino, came by and asked Robert DeNiro if he had a moment, so they walked off together. Matt Damon turned to me and said, "Look at that, Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino together. Very cool."

And that's what it was, very cool.

I have a lot more observations/thoughts/ideas that emerged during my 4 days. More soon!

No comments: