T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Thursday, August 16, 2007

an Italian revelation

I cannot begin to tell you how amazing my dinner was this evening. My uncle and I went to Dopo, a little neighborhood restaurant on Piedmont Avenue in Oakland. The food was simple, and simply amazing. Although there was a 20 minute wait, it was worth it, and I would have been content to sip prosecco on the sidewalk for an hour.

The menu, though small, was inventive and expressive. We began with a rabbit pate accompanied with a delicious salad of sprouts with a light vinaigrette. The pate was delicate yet there was a hint of spice that married well with rabbit.

Our second course was a delightful early girl and sweet 100 tomato salad. It was finished with a subtle vinaigrette and basil chiffonade that allowed the perfectly ripe tomato flavor to shine through.

For my entree I chose the rivolo. According to our waitress, the chef made only 40 of these large raviolo and it took him nearly 8 hours. It was simply phenomenal. The first layer of pasta was laid down and filled with ricotta and Pecorino Romano then topped with a single, intact egg yolk. It was then carefully sealed. After cooking it was finished simply with a butter sauce, Parmesan and black pepper. As I cut into the raviolo the egg yolk, which was cooked just enough to allow the yolk to mix with the cheeses, added a richness which I have never before experienced in a pasta. Honestly, if we weren't at a restaurant I would have literally licked my plate.

I would consider this meal the consummate neighborhood experience. It was crowded, the food was amazing, the service was attentive and our waitress knowledgeable and affable. An incredible meal in a place I love...what more could That Girl ask for?

No comments: