T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

spam

Yesterday: Chicken.

Today: Spam!

I get so much spam in my university email account. And the bitch of it is that I have a spam filter set up. So I have three to four times as much spam that goes into a designated spam folder, but somehow there is a major spam leakage, if you will. And the even bigger problem is that some of my regular e-mails (from Big J, Chronicle of Higher Ed, Inside Higher Ed, etc.) seem to go into my spam folder.
Here is a sample of recent spam subject lines:
  • Confirmation Link
  • What you-ve always wanted
  • Re:abridged
  • Re:natural Bobs cognitive matrix
  • We will get you the results you need
  • Watcha think about this
  • Augustus
  • Wallace
  • RE:posters Overall
And the number one spam subject line:
  • butt trapeze
Now, if someone is trying to trick me into opening spam I have to say "butt trapeze" makes me a little curious, but I'm not stupid.

SPAM Factoids:

Hawaiians love Spam. They consume over 4 million cans per year.


The name Spam was the result of a Hormel New Year's Eve part contest. The original product name, Hormel Spiced Ham, was, well, not very original, so they held a contest. The winner, Kenneth Daigneau, received a $100 prize and made his mark on American culture.


The
Spam Museum opened in September 2001 and is located in Austin, Minnesota.

No comments: