T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Coaching Girls Soccer . . . You're Doing It Wrong

little j's soccer coach is awesome.  The girls have a lot of fun and work really hard.  It's a joy watching them play.  After they finished the game today I was waiting on the sidelines and watching the next team warm up.  The team is one that little j's team played a couple weeks ago and they are quite good and just a bit older. 

As I was waiting I heard their coach say (yell?), "Is that how we kick?  Like little girls?"  I just about lost my shit.  Seriously?  These are little girls and they kick very well, thank you.  Way to promote gender stereotypes asshole. 

There's a big part of me that wishes I would have said something.  Certainly if he was little j's coach I would have.  Fortunately, I will never have to worry about that with her coach.  But I have to wonder what those (little) girls thought.  They are all under 10 years old and it is a rec league, they are out there to learn the fundamentals and have a great time.  It's never too soon to think about the effect words have, and this was an unfortunate real-life example.

1 comment:

Wild Cayuse Creek said...

I am reminded by the HIMYM episode where Marshall coaches basketball...
(http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xac14x_how-i-met-your-mother-murtaugh-prom_fun). How horrifying.