T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A New Semester

Tomorrow is the first day of spring semester. Fortunately I am teaching two classes I have taught before so even though it is a lot of work, there is less prep overall, and for that I am thankful. I have some really great ideas for the college student development class, including have the students read and analyze a book based on the development (psychosocial, cognitive, ethical, etc.) of the author or main character. They have awesome book options like: The Unlikely Disciple, Dead Man Walking, The Color of Water, and Honky (and several more). I'm looking forward to seeing how this assignment works out -- I have high hopes!

One thing I've learned this past semester is that I need to have better boundaries. The number of emails I get from students is just ridiculous. I need to find a better balance between being helpful and responding to student needs and getting my own work done. One of the things that the students like about the program is the fact that I make myself available -- but it also one of the things that has gotten more difficult for me as we admit more students. I'm sure I'll find the ideal balance, but it may take a while.

This semester brings its own challenges with admissions, internship placement, and lots of questions from potential new students. I'm certainly glad to have my graduate assistants, but I think I'll need to be more proactive in delegating work their way.

It should be a good semester...if I can keep all the balls in the air!

No comments: