T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Importance of Conversation

I will be the first to admit that I'm an introvert. In fact, I'm such an introvert that I am nearly off the charts on the MBTI. I don't necessarily thing this is a bad thing, in fact it has helped me make it through activities (e.g., my dissertation), and I think it is one of the reasons I made the move from administrator to faculty. I like working on my own, I like spending hours researching and reading without distraction.

Big J has been out of town the last two weeks and, is normal for me, I've spent a lot of time by myself. And a lot of time without adult conversation. This isn't so bad, but after two weeks it is kind of wearing.

Tonight I was reminded how important conversation, personal contact, and just a fun evening out can be. I recently agreed to join a new chapter of AAUW and this evening was our first get-together of charter members. Honestly, I forgot how great it was just to be around smart, fun, women that can talk about everything from education policy to the latest episode of Glee (we were all fans!). I came home totally rejuvenated and happy. And I realize how much I needed this evening.

Apparently no matter how introverted I am, I still need some good conversation!

No comments: