T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Frustration

One thing about working at a small institution is that you know just about everyone and can pretty much figure out how things work. At a larger institution that just doesn't seem to be the case. I have been having a tough time navigating exactly how some things work and no one goes out of their way to help me figure it out.

One advantage I have is that my office is across from the department office and I get to hear the administrative assistants talking. Almost every day I learn something new about the inner workings of the university, plus there's the occasional good gossip. The one thing I have learned is that everyone is frustrated by how things work and how complicated things are.

I understand the complexity of large organizations, but what baffles me is how difficult it still is to navigate when I've been here for nearly seven years. You would think I would be able to figure it out. Fortunately I am willing to ask for help. The frustration comes in when the people I ask for help don't know what to do!

No comments: