T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Sad Day . . .

Big J found Dragon. Unfortunately it wasn't a happy ending. little j was, of course, incredibly sad, but she's been much more resilient than we anticipated. Before we picked her up from school Big J and I talked about how and when we would tell her. We also talked about the possibility of her asking to get a new cat and agreed that we would do whatever she wanted when she was ready.

Telling little j about Dragon and having her see him was possibly the hardest parenting thing I have ever done. It was awful to see her so sad. I told Big J that it was probably harder for us in some ways because we've been thinking about for two days. Whatever the reason, after we took Dragon to the vet she wanted to go to the SPCA. We all felt better after spending about an hour holding and playing with kittens. Predictably, little j said she wants to get a kitten this weekend.

We'll all miss Dragon. He was a sweet guy.

2 comments:

Amanda Villagómez said...

How sad. I am sorry that your family had to experience that. I am glad that you two let little j be the gauge of what she would like to do...

Sally HP said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I completely agree that it's so much harder to explain something like this to your kids and watch their hurt reactions.