T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Monday, June 01, 2009

Out of My Element

I've been going to the gym at the university for four weeks now, six days a week. I feel pretty comfortable there. But on Saturday I was totally out of my element.

Big J and I went to the gym together, and since he uses more weight than I do, he suggested we work out on the main level of the gym. The gym we go to (there are actually at least four on Grounds) has two levels. The upper level, where I generally work out, has mostly cardio, some hand weights up to 30 lbs., and weight machines. The main level, where I have never worked out, has the big weights (because I don't know what else to call them) and the serious lifters (read: sweaty men that lift way more than I ever want to).

These college-age men (boys?) are the exact reason that I don't really like going to the gym. But I don't generally see them upstairs. And now I know why. They were all on the main floor in the weight room sweating and grunting.

Since Big J was with me, I summoned the courage to do my work out with the "big boys" in which I used no hand weights over 20 lbs. I know they weren't thinking about how a girl invaded their space, or how I could barely lift any weight (compared to them), but I was thinking they were thinking that. And that is all that matters.

I did make it through the workout and then hustled my butt out of there thankful that I had Big J with me and thinking there is no way I would ever set foot in that weight room again. At least until I can bench press 100 lbs. (So, clearly I won't be back in there!)

On a humorous note: During the work out, Miley Cyrus's "The Climb" came on the sound system. hmmm...large guys lifting weights to Miley Cyrus? Now that's something to smile about.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

I also get a kick out of watching said boys admiring their reflections at every opportunity possible as they strut through the gym. Hilarious.