T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Aunt Flo

I just read a great post over at Jezebel on My Little Red Book, a collection of essays about first periods collected from women all over the world. The closest thing I had was Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret, which I think I might have read about 20 times.

I never thought I would say this, but I'm not really looking forward to that part of little j's life. I'm not at all nervous about having "the talk" with her, or helping her, or being there for support. I think it is more about the end of girlhood. Certainly a 12-year old that has her first period is not yet woman, but it's just the symbolic nature of the whole thing.

I suppose I feel that there is such a hurry to grow up, and I just want little j to enjoy being young. Perhaps she will, but there is so much pressure on girls to dress up, wear makeup, like boys, etc. I love the fact that she plays with cars and horses, makes games out of the smallest things, laughs hysterically at Disney movies, and makes up funny little dances when she is tired. These are all things I'm not ready to give up. Then again, we have a few years.

Back to the book...I think it is a great idea and would be good to include in a "first period kit" along with all the necessities, ibuprofen, pads/tampons, and . . . hmmm....any ideas readers?

1 comment:

Hyperreflexia said...

the kit should include and mother and daughter's how to guide on making a heating pad made from beans in a sock that can be heated in a microwave....a recipe for something chocolatey, a bag of salty kettle chips. How lucky are our girls now, there is self checkout at the store so no more embarrassing buying gear issues.