T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Wrapping Paper + Tape + Ribbon = Devil's Tools

Today I spent a little over three hours wrapping presents. I wrapped presents that I got for other people and that other people got for Big J and little j. I still have a couple presents to wrap. No one should spend that much time wrapping gifts, at least at one sitting -- or, in my case, one back breaking standing.

But here's what got me: My grandmother had some gifts sent directly to us and they needed to be wrapped. I took them out of the box and was wrapping the gifts for little j when I thought about what to write on the tag. I realized that the gift was going to be from Great Grandma and not Great Grandpa. And I started to cry. It's the first time since I've been home that I've cried. I thought that I had no tears left, but clearly I was wrong. I suppose that there will be moments like that on and off for quite a while.

2 comments:

Hyperreflexia said...

I dare say, the tears will be carried for eternity.

Anonymous said...

It's been four years now and I find that the silliest thing makes me think of Grandpa and before I know what has hit me, tears are streaming down my face. I think I miss his voice the most.