T h Corny A T G amIr R L

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

a fairly typical day

Over the weekend I went to a wedding in California. I had nearly forgotten how enjoyable a solo plane trip can be, but 4 research articles and nearly a full book later, I was perfectly content to sit for a little over 10 hours round-trip.

I came home Monday night just in time to read stories to little j and give her a good night kiss. Definitely worth speeding home. Of course I also came home to a nearly empty fridge except for the leftovers that were there when I left the Friday morning. So Tuesday, I drove home thinking about what I could make for dinner. I knew there was chicken in the freezer and some sweet potatoes in the pantry. I was certain I could come up with something. And I did -- honey roasted chicken with whipped sweet potatoes.

Alas....no honey. I could have sworn we had some when I left. Call to Big J....get honey on the way home. Open the freezer, dig around.....no chicken! WHAT!!! Call to Big J....forget the honey. So I got out a pork tenderloin.
Ok, by this time it is nearly 5:45 and I have the sweet potatoes in the oven roasting, the tenderloin thawing, I am frantically searching for a recipe because I don't have enough brain space to think up something on my own. And there it is: bacon-herb wrapped pork tenderloin with lemon glazed sweet potatoes (thank you Bobby Flay, my secret crush!). Surely we have all the ingredients....but no...call to Big J who is now on the drive home: stop and get bacon.

All in all, this meal, which made it to the table about 20 minutes later than I would like, was good. The tenderloin will definitely make a reappearance, the lemon glazed sweet potatoes will not. But little j did tell me that it was one of the best dinners I had ever made and it didn't even involve Brussels sprouts.

No comments: